Sunday, August 31, 2008

In search of...

(Train sightings on 8- 23 & 24 -08.)

a new spot for doing some leisurely railroad photography along the lehigh Line. My "trek" would take me out to Three Bridges on Saturday and the Roycefield Road grade crossing in Hillsborough on Sunday to check out the new quiet zone grade crossings that were recently installed. Didn't see many trains, but I did enjoy the few that I saw.

On Saturday at Three Bridges: NS 21M @ 8:13- had NS 9953, NS 6685 and NS 9162 for its motive power. Being on the mainline, the trains passed through here at a good clip which meant I had to write real fast to get those engine numbers.

Next up was NS 24V at 9:35. I might say shades of CR days with PRR 8370 (ex-CR 6145) as its leader with NS 9350 following. NS 24V is also ex-CR TV62A symbol (Harrisburg, PA to Dockside, NJ), a daily intermodal train and one of my favorites for its consist of colorful containers that follows.



Sunday was spent just hoping to catch a train at one of the new quiet zone crossings in Hillsborough. That afternoon I did manage to catch a power move heading west on the Roycefield Running track past the grade crossing. In this consist was NS 5324, PRR 5338 (ex-CR 8171), NS 3011 and NS 3389. I did find it ironic that even though a sign was posted stating "No Train Horn" warning drivers about this crossing, the engineer still sounded his horn to warn oncoming drivers of a train approaching.


Stay tuned until next time when I continue my quest to find a suitable railfan location...