Monday, December 01, 2008

There was still some color along the Lehigh Line...

(Train sightings on 11-22-08.)

however I am not talking about autumn's foliage but some of the motive power I saw along Saturday's frigid trackside trip. First off was a rolling meet between NS 24V and NS 21M at Flemington Jct that I saw through the trees as I was driving. Decided that I would wait along River Road where I had the sheltered comfort of my truck to stay warm as the wind was brutal at times. My patience and perservance paid off as I managed to photograph a very colorful trio of motive power on NS ethanol train 68Q. PRR 5435 (EMD SD50, ex-CR 6765) was the leader, followed by UP 7056 and UP 7172.


After that passed, decided that I had enough of this cold windy morning and started for home. My drive took a detour at Three Bridges where BR&W's 1202 was switching some cars. Their switcher looked like an ex-Reading unit with its clean green and yellow paint scheme, very nice!

Despite the lack of trains, it was more quality than quantity on this Saturday morning. As a footnote regarding the Port Reading Junction track realignment project, the block signal west of the Raritan River bridge is no more! This was the signal that would indicate if a westbound train was heading west over the Lehigh Line or down the Trenton Line. Evidently it has been replaced by two dwarf signals near the west side of the bridge for westbound trains.