Monday, September 06, 2010

It's not so much about this train I saw...

(Train sightings on 9-4-10.)

...but it is the people I encountered today when doing railroad photography that made this Saturday morning extra special for me. After spending some time up at Hunterdon County's Lansdown Road's grade crossing (MP 58), where I was fortunate enough to see two NS eastbound intermodal trains pass by, I headed down the line to the LEHL's Hamden Road grade crossing (MP 57). It was here that I would wait for whatever was next to come east. A combination of good sunlight and the two truss bridges spanning the Raritan River and Cramer's Brook made this especially appealing to me for doing photography at this location.

During my wait here, people were out either biking, walking or jogging in taking advantage of this day's weather. A few of them stopped at the grade crossing to inquire what I was doing. That spontaneous bit of conversation and what ensued made my wait more pleasant. At times, I think this type of spontaneous social interaction is what makes railroad photography so enjoyable for me. Granted, getting a photo of CP 38T headed east was a unanticipated bonus for me and something I didn't think I would get today. In reminiscing about all those people I have met over the years while doing railroad photography, I feel very fortunate to have met them. Their acquaintance has made this activity so much more enjoyable for me.