Thursday, June 07, 2012

Saturday's trains trifecta

(Train sightings on 6-2-12.) 

To venture trackside on any given day, it is always a gamble as to what will be seen. With ample sunshine I decided to see if luck would be with me on this day when I decided to check out some of my favorite locations while running my errands. As I crossed the LEHL’s Hillsborough (NJ) Roycefield Road grade crossing, a headlight of an approaching NS train could be seen. With NS 8326 (ex-CR 6070; C40-8W) leading, it’s consist was COFCs.



Good fortune continued to come along for the ride with me at my second stop in Three Bridges (NJ). Checking the block signal at MP 48, I saw it was set for an eastbound train and decided to wait to see what was coming.  NS 212, with NS 9633 and NS 6640 for the motive power, made its appearance within a few minutes after my arrival.



I decided to roll the dice one more time by heading down to Belle Mead (NJ) and see if my good fortune would continue. As luck would have it, CSX Q417 had CSX 789 and CSX 576 leading a short consist of mixed freight heading west over the Trenton Line near MP 50. 



Walking back to my truck, I toyed around with the notion of buying a lottery ticket since Lady Luck had definitely been smiling on me today. So did I buy a ticket? The answer would be “Nope!” Will I regret my decision? I suppose that answer will never be known!