Wednesday, September 19, 2012

One down and only nineteen to go!

(Train sightings on 9-15-12.)

Finally photographed my first NS heritage unit, the Central of Georgia! Followed its progress east as the leader on NS 66Q, a ethanol train, by way of the Internet and hoped that it might come through in daylight. Passage of previous heritage units through NJ have been during the work week, under the cover of darkness or inclement weather. Finally I was going to get a chance to photograph one in excellent sunlight. Now all I had to do is wait for its arrival here in Three Bridges. My scanner was quiet most of the morning prompting me to think has this train been held up somewhere? Patience and perseverance was needed on my part to get this photograph! Another railfan stopped by to inform me that "...66Q was holding at Pattenburg for 21M to go west. Once that happened, 22V and 212 would run ahead of the 66Q" Hmmm... about one more hour I assumed before the C of G would be in my camera's lens. My estimation was a bit off as ninety minutes later, 22V's headlight appeared in the distance. NS 9565 and NS 8701 would bring this consist of COFCs east. Next up was 212 with NS 9313, NS 9964 and NS 9912. Finally, NS 8101 leading NS 8348, NS 8988 and NS 2758 leading a long string of tank cars and looking really good passed through the Three Bridges Main Street grade crossing.