Wednesday, June 23, 2010

CLOSE CLEARANCE! Meet of two wide load trains

Received the following via email.

Pics of BNSF Wind Turbine cars passing Boeing Jetliner Fuselage loads. Apparently from the engineer on the train with the B-737 fuselage loads.

Two trains meeting where they’re not suppose to be at the same time.

The KCK-Lincoln, a West Bound Train was stopped on Main 2 at Water Works, located just north of St. Joseph, Missouri. My Train the KCK-Pasco, also a West Bound Train was on Main 1 going through Water Works. Both these trains had excessive “Height and Width” cars. The Train on Main 2 was shipping Windmill Generators and my train contained Boeing Aircraft Fuselages. Note in the photo that there is less than two inches of clearance! The saving grace is this… If it weren’t for the fact I was running on an approach following another West Bound train certain catastrophe would have been imminent. It certainly would have derailed and destroyed both trains and possibly lives could have been lost. Luckily, as I was rounding the bend I was able to see a long ways up the track and noticed the train on Main 2 had High Wide Cars, and I was able to get my train stopped. If I would have been going track speed there would have been no way of stopping. Someone from above was certainly watching out for me that day and it wasn’t the Dispatchers.