Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Hershey (PA) railroading variety...

(Train sightings on 12-4-11.)

Spending the weekend in Hershey to see the Hershey Bears skate against the Portland Pirates in ice hockey, I managed to get out and take in some of the railroading variety that this area had to offer before and after this game. What follows is some of the highlights of what I saw...

Photo 1- There was a O-gauge layout set up in the Derry Township Historical Society's building that I went in to see. It was quite an impressive seeing it in operation. Seen here is the "Hershey Special" featuring rolling stock of various Hershey products. That was only one of the many trains running simultaneously.

Photo 2- Was taken at the Elizabethtown AMTRAK Station on Sunday morning just as Train 664 was pulling into the station to pick up five passengers. Since 1985, I have been photographing the changes this station has undergone. With renovations now complete, I will say this is one of the nicer stations I have seen.

Photo 3- With my wife waiting patiently in the car, I wanted to capture this one image that showed those Hershey lettered smokestacks. Bless her heart and patience with me for allowing me to get this image of what I think was NS 21M!