Monday, February 18, 2013

Elizabethtown (PA) AMTRAK Station

(Train sightings on 2-10-13.)

Whenever my wife and I are visiting the Hershey area, one place that I make it a point to stop at is AMTRAK's Elizabethtown station. My first recollection of seeing this station was back on August 23rd, 1985 when the Pennsylvania RR Museum ran their double-headed steam engine trip. Back then the station was nothing more than some concrete platforms and a waiting area to keep one dry with a roof and not much more than that. In the ensuing years, it has been interesting for me to watch the transformation of the station to what it is today. Down the embankment one can still see an old depot whose heritage is unknown to me. I can assume it was once a PRR depot. From what I was told, this structure will eventually be demolished to make way for a long term parking lot for the station. Saving it is out of the question since it isn't capable of being relocated.


Photo 1: Is AMTRAK's "Pennsylvanian arriving close to schedule on February 9th. AMTAK 24 was the leader for this trip.




Photo 2: Ahhh... if only those walls of the old depot could talk, what stories they might have to tell!



Photo 3: Sunday morning at 9:47 finds the passengers on board and AMTRAK's Keystone Service train 664 getting ready to depart Elizabethtown.