Saturday, March 09, 2013

Two from the archives...

(Train sightings from the 1980's.)

Photo 1: Back in 1982, my father and I received an invitation to our cousin's wedding in Aurora, CO. Flying into Denver from NJ, I decided to see if I could get some photos of Denver's railroading scene by getting up early to get out before having to leave for the ceremony. I was fortunate enough to snap this photo of the Zephyr as it departed Denver's Union Station on June 5, 1982. According to a newspaper's clipping that I have, within less than a year the Zephyr would make its final run on April 26, 1983.



Photo 2: As a student attending King's College in Wilkes-Barre (PA) in 1979-80, weekends would usually find me heading over to the D&H's Hudson Yard in Plains to see if there was anything of interest to be seen. On this one Saturday, D&H 5002 was working the yard. This diesel had the distinction of being the first D&H locomotive to sport the new simplified paint scheme.