Friday, January 19, 2018

My consolation prize!

Received via email

Checking one of the websites that lists if an NS heritage unit is leading a train I saw the Virginian heritage unit was leading intermodal 20K. With Thursday having good sunlight 20K and sunshine would be the motivation that got me track side to wait for it. My initial location would be Stanton Station were afternoon lighting is usually good. At 1:57 PM I received a text stating an eastbound train just passed through Phillipsburg (NJ). Hmmm... perhaps it would not be much longer now I thought to myself. Unfortunately that train would be NS 64E, a unit tank train of ethanol. Motive power would find NS 8018 leading with CN 2523 trailing. With shadows starting to fade into the scene I decided to head down to Hillsborough where the Lehigh Line crosses Route 206. Here the 64E sort of snuck up on me as I was able to grab one shot as it crossed over the highway. As for that 20K, after leaving my last location I decided to head over to the Valley Road grade crossing which is basically a ten minute drive from where I was. Doing this would allow me to check that block signal and see if the 20K might have a green signal. Rounding the curve and seeing the grade crossing's down gates 20K had been only fifteen minutes behind that 64E and already passing through this grade crossing -Aaaargh! I guess the "five minute rule" was engaged on this day for me.