Friday, January 12, 2018

Some D&H images from 1980

Received via email

My one regret when attending college back in 1979 to 1980 in Wilkes-Barre (PA) was not taking the time to photograph the D&H more extensively than what I did. I am glad that I was able to capture a few images from my time residing in that area though with these three being among my favorites.

Image 1: On March 15th near Burnwood D&H train RW6 suffered a derailment at 7:50 AM. Records showed it had four diesels for seventy-two cars that totaled 3,529 of gross tonnage. D&H 2311 (U23B) had brought up some of the equipment needed for cleaning up the derailment. I still wonder why I didn't take a roster shot of the caboose behind 2311? Perhaps the slope and snow made it a bit hazardous to take a photo?

Image 2: D&H's Hudson yard in Plains is seen in March, 1980 on a quiet Saturday morning. 5002 (ALCO RS11) was the first D&H locomotive to appear in this paint scheme. I seem to recall reading that originally 5002 was to be either a PC or NYC diesel (I can't recall which one!) but when that deal fell through, the D&H acquired it.

Image 3: A D&H general merchandise freight passes through Hudson yard in Plains back in October, 1980.