CSX Highlights 2014 Performance in Annual Corporate Social Responsibility Report
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - July 13, 2015 - CSX Corporation (NYSE: CSX) today launched the company's fifth annual Corporate Social Responsibility Report, Moving Forward, highlighting progress in 2014 toward company goals related to business performance, employee empowerment, environmental sustainability and community investment.
"CSX experienced one of the most dynamic years in our nearly 190-year history in 2014, and we have many achievements to celebrate," said Michael J. Ward, chairman and chief executive officer. "Our employees bring Corporate Social Responsibility to life every day by operating responsibly in the communities where we live and work - and we take great pride in that. This report is about our work to meet the needs of our various stakeholders and our plan to continue anticipating the demands of tomorrow."
Highlights for 2014 performance include:
- Achieved company-record fuel efficiency with the ability to move one ton of freight 483 miles on one gallon of fuel
- Integrated sustainable development practices into the new intermodal terminals in
Winter Haven, Florida and Salaberry-de-Valleyfield,
Investing in Communities
- Invested more than $18 million in grants and in-kind donations to nonprofits
- Logged nearly 25,000 employee volunteer hours with service organizations
- Announced 107 projects to build or expand facilities on CSX's network and partners, which are expected to generate nearly 5,800 jobs in local communities
- Welcomed 27 percent of new employees with military experience
- Doubled conductor hiring in the second half of 2014
- Completed more than 1.6 million hours of employee training
The Corporate Social Responsibility Report was prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. GRI is a globally-recognized reporting framework for environmental, social and governance performance. The content and direction of the report was informed, in part, by the issues raised in the company's materiality assessment and ongoing engagement with various stakeholders.
The full report is available for download at www.csxcsr.com.
CSX, based in
, is a premier
transportation company. It provides
rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services and solutions to
customers across a broad array of markets, including energy, industrial,
construction, agricultural, and consumer products. For nearly 190 years, CSX has played a
critical role in the nation's economic expansion and industrial
development. Its network connects every
major metropolitan area in the eastern Jacksonville,
Florida United States, where nearly
two-thirds of the nation's population resides.
It also links more than 240 short-line railroads and more than 70 ocean,
river and lake ports with major population centers and farming towns
alike. More information about CSX
Corporation and its subsidiaries is available at www.csx.com. Like us on
Facebook (http://facebook.com/OfficialCSX) and follow us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/CSX).