Friday, September 15, 2017

Sunday afternoon in Jim Thorpe

Received via email
With the weather being so nice my wife suggested heading up to Jim Thorpe as a change of pace. Evidently her and I were operating on the same wave length since that was what I was also hoping to do. There were some photo locations that I was hoping to try out in photographing the LGSRY's run to Penn Haven. The train was definitely smaller than the previous times I was here but since the main tourist season was done that was understandable. Motive power was R&N 2535, an open air gondola for carrying bikes and three passenger cars. My first location was Glen Onoko's abandoned CNJ Turn Hole Tunnel for the 11 AM run. It is a nice location but requires some luck, meaning no vehicles are crossing the bridge as the train passes over the Lehigh River, and careful listening. A train will sound its horn as it approaches the bridge giving the photographer notice of its imminent arrival. The second location was from the Route 903 bridge that spans the yard for the 1 PM train. After seeing the results, I like the bridge scene since it captures the entire consist. Leaving Jim Thorpe on Route 209 north we encountered a rock slide about a mile out of town. Hmmm... would have hated to be in the right lane when that boulder fell!
No message selected