Monday, February 23, 2015

What I got in photographing NS's Central of Georgia heritage unit...

(Train sightings on 2-15-15.)

...was cold feet and a roster shot of the Central of Georgia! I had seen various postings on the Internet and thought I'll get this heritage unit in Sunday's good sunlight. I was going to wait at the LEHL's CP SULLY (MP 40) in Hillsborough (NJ) for the 66Z but switched over to Manville's 13th Street grade crossing. The morning wind was icy cold and brutal so moving over to Manville's 13th Street grade crossing seemed like a good idea at the time. When the 66Z's headlight was seen, I could exit the sheltered warmth of my truck to get the image. That 'ol saying "...the best made plans of mice and men go astray" was appropriate as my plans were destined to go astray. 66Z took the Royce Runner (Main 1) around 10:15 and held until permission was given to head east around 3:30. It was my understanding that a truck had struck a bridge causing various delays to operations within that area until a bridge inspector could come out and check for possible structural damage. For me the best image of this day was not of 66Z's heritage unit but of NS 290 heading east through the swirling snow. From the vantage point were this photo was taken, one can usually see pretty far west. Not so in this scene since the snow kicked up by 290 and winds have drastically reduced the visibility.