Thursday, November 13, 2008

The trains were as sparse as autumn's colors...

(Train sightings on 10-19-08.)

along the Lehigh Line on the sunny Sunday morning. The day started out with NS 18G passing through Three Bridges around 8:14. I happened to spot it going east as I drove over the Route 202 bridge. Driving over to Lansdown Junction , my scanner picked up still another east bounder. This train's symbol proved to be undecipherable when the engineer acknowledged the milepost. Omigosh, I am really doing good this morning I thought as I was now zero for two in photographing any trains. Finally arriving at Lansdown Junction, I waited for the next east bounder until finally growing a little weary of that spot. Shadows were starting to creep in and the fall colors were blah at best. Figured that River Road, just east of Stanton Station (MP 53) would be a possibility. The sun was starting to swing around and there was a little more color in the foliage there. My patience and perseverance was finally rewarded when I heard NS 212 call MP 53 at Stanton Station and blow his horn for the grade crossing there around 11:05. As it came around the curve, I saw that the first two units were Union Pacific. Seeing this through the viewfinder, I thought their armour yellow was certainly a nice color complement to autumn's colors at this location. After seeing my photograph, I hope that you will agree with that observation...